1. Topic of Maitrise es Lettres : Conception et Pratique du theatre de Jean Paul Sartre. Thesis Supervisor : Roger FAYOLLE. Mention : Bien
2. Topic of thesis : Analyse Semiotique du theatre de Kalidasa.
Thesis Supervisor: Mme Anne UBERSFELD. Mention : Bien
1. Lecturer in French, Burhani College, Mumbai.( 1973)
2. Lecteur de Sanskrit, University of Lille, France ( 1976-80)
3. Lecturer in French, Maharaja Sayajirao University,Baroda, 1982
4. Lecturer in French,Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad 1983-1991
5. Reader in French, Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, 1991-1996
6. Professor of French, Goa University, 1996- 1998.
7. Professor of French 1996 – Punjab University, Chandigarh. (Offer declined.)
8. Professor of French, Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad. 1999- till date
French and Comparative Literature, Criticism, Comparative Literature, Translation (particularly Literary translation). Teaching French as a Foreign Language, French Literature and French Culture.
1. “Madame Bovary” Marathi translation of Gustave Flaubert’s novel, Continental Prakashan, 1993 (pp. 351).
2. “Kon,’ Marathi translation of Georges Simenon’s novel Un Chien Jaune. Takalkar Prakashan, Poona, September 2001 p. 158.
3. « Bonjour Tristesse » Marathi Translation of Françoise Sagan’s novel,(Continental Prakashan)2010.
Chapters in book
4. Women writing in India: 600B.C. to present. edited by Susie Tharu and K. Lalita, Translation of Balutai Dhada Ghe by Indira Sahastrabuddhe The Feminist Press, New York, 1991, pages 385-390.
5. Collected Plays of Satish Alekar - translation ( in collaboration ) of ‘ATIREKI’, Oxford University Press, 2009. pages 162 – 230
Review of Methods of Language teaching
6. Review of Marathi Shika (Learning Marathi as a second language) by R.S. Dhongde, Usha Ranade et al in Bhasha Ani Jeevan, Poona (1989).
7. Review of “En Echange” méthode de Français pour I’Inde in “Essais”, Journal of the Department of French, CIEFL, pp. 97-102, December 1994.
8. Bhishma Sahni’s Tamas: An Analysis in Panchadhara, A.P. Marathi Sahitya Parishad, Hyderabad, Vol. 35, No. 1-2, April-Sept 1992. pages 12-18.
9. Sahitya Ani Samajik Nitimatta: in Panchadhara, April-May-June 1993, pages 108-111.
Review of Book literary Criticism
10. Aadhunik Paschimatya Sameeksha- siddhantancha sutovacha- (Review of Adhunik Sameeksha Siddhant – by Milind Malshe and Ashok Joshi, Mauj Prakashan, in Samaj Prabodhan Patrika, Jan.- march 2008
Translation of Writings on Literary Criticism
11. ‘Sameeksha mhanaje kaay” Translation of Roland Barhtes’ ‘Qu’ est-ce que la critique?’
in Anushtubha, May-June, 2001, pp 24-27.
12. ‘Sahityaprakaranche prayojana’ – Translation into Marathi of Didier Coste’s Review in French of Milind Malshe’s Aesthetics of Literary Classification’ in fibula@org, in Bhasha ani Jivan, Diwali 2004. (99.7-23)
13. “Cultural dimensions of the problems of translation” in Essais, Journal of the Department of French, CIEFL, pp. 18-32. June 1994.
14. “Classical Debates in Translation” in International Journal of Translation, vol. 10, nos. 1-2, Jan-Dec. 98. pp. 41-59, Publications, New Delhi 110 019.
Literary Translation ( Marathi to French )
15. French Translation of Marathi poems by P.S. Rege, B.S. Mardhekar, B.B. Borkar, Sapkale, Narayan Surve, etc., etc., with a preface in French published in Action Poétique, Vol. No. 101, 1986, Avon (France).
16. Inde: Trois Poètes Intouchables (langue marathe): French Translations of poetry by three Marathi Dalit poets viz., Narayan Surve, Daya Pawar, Namdev Dhasal) with a preface in Action Poetique, volume 133/135, winter 1993-94, pages 5-25, Avon, France.
Literary translation French to Marathi ( besides 1,2,3 above)
17. ‘Pharasbine paschatya samskriti kashi vachavali?’ Marathi translation of Umberto Eco’s ‘comment le petit pois a sauve la civilization occidentale?’ in Antarnaad Pune, February, 2001. (p. 16-18)
18. Albert Camus’ French short story L’Hote in Marathi: Waangmaya Shobha, Bombay , September 1992, pages: 26-37
19. Albert Camus’s short story La Pierre qui roule, in Uttam Anuvad, Pune Diwali issue 2009.
20. Anatole France’s short story Leslie Wood, in Uttam Anuvad, Diwali Issue, 2010.
21. Marguerite Yourcenar’s short story La Veuve Aphrodisia by Marguerite Yourcenar in the Diwali Issue of Uttam Anuvad, Afrodisiache
22. Jean Paul Dubois short story
23. Review of ’ A Galance at France’ by Dr. K.J.S. Chatrath (1999), in JEFL, Hyderabad ,December 2002.pp 47-51.
24. Claude Levi-Stauss – an obituary. ( An obituary in Marathi on the demise of the leading French anthropologist) – Samaj Prabodhan Patrika, July- December 2009
25. Marathi patrakaritechi France madheel Shiledari – in the Souvenir of 7th European Marathi Sammelan, Paris, July 2008..
Awards and Memberships
1. Jagannath Shankarshet Scholarship from 1966 – 68 for obtaining 91/100 marks in Sanskrit at the Secondary School Certificate examination in the Maharashtra Board.
2. French Government Scholarship for higher studies in France from 1973 to 76.
3. Krishnaveni Verma Trust Scholarship from the University of Paris (1980)
4. French Government Teacher Fellowship : September 93 – November 93.
5. Visiting Professor( Maître de Conference ) in the University of Aix en Provence, France, March 98.
6. Visiting Professor ( Maître de Conference) University of Aix en Provence, France, March 2000.
Memberships :Member of Board of Studies, Selection Committee member etc.
University of Mumbai,
University of Chennai
University of Pondicherry,
Jawaharlal Nehru University
Membership of Professional Bodies :
Life member of Indian Association of Teachers of French
Life member of Association of Indian Teachers of French
Conferences, seminars, lectures, invited talks
Conference organized ( recent ) :Centenary of World War I
Music, Learning Telugu (tried three times, trying still !!!)
Actively participated in theatre groups, played roles in French and Sanskrit plays.
Recently wrote lyrics for a Marathi film (Spandan) which depicts the story of a couple whose child has celebral palsy(2010).
In order to encourage school and college students of French, I ran Sunday Club of French with the help of local college teachers for three years. Under the auspices of this Club, we used to organize activities for the students which without being related to the school/college syllabus reinforced the course contents.
As the distance to reach the main library of A.P. Marathi Sahitya Parishat proved to be a deterrent, five years ago I took the lead to establish a circulating library of Diwali issues of Marathi magazines in association with an already existing cultural group.. Today , it serves an as outpost of the A.P. Marathi Sahitya Parishat. Its original 25 members have become now 30.