Office of the Dean, Foreign Students
Office of the Dean, Foreign Students

The Office of Dean, Foreign students (ODFS) of the English and Foreign Languages University was formed with a view to assist international students. Besides looking after admissions and eligibility, the ODFS coordinates with FRRO, ICCR, IB, Ministry of External affairs, and the Embassies and Consulates of different countries for various purposes including Scholarships.

We at the EFL University recognize that international students make considerable investments when they study overseas. We would like to assure you that this University offers not only excellent research resources and high quality education leading to internationally recognized qualifications but also outstanding welfare and social facilities.

At the EFL University we are confident that we can meet your highest expectations and that we can also provide you with all the support services necessary to ensure that you have a rewarding experience here, both academically and socially. Our confidence stems from our many satisfied students, who have successfully graduated from the EFL University. We have the experience of hosting ICCR-funded students and self-financing students from a wide range of countries such as Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Japan, Myanmar, Nepal, Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Romania, Vietnam, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Oman, Iraq, Iran, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Mongolia, Russia and so on.

We have three levels of programmes for international students. You can work towards an undergraduate degree (B.A. Honours), a postgraduate degree (M.A.), or a research degree (PhD). The details of the various degrees are given under Programmes in the Face-to-face Mode at Hyderabad Campus, Lucknow Campus and the North-East Campus at Shillong. You can visit our website at www.efluniversity.ac.in.


For international applicants, a certain level of proficiency in English is a mandatory requirement for eligibility at the EFL University. You need to have the required score in any one of the following international tests and a copy of the score card you have to attach with your application:

CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language)a


Name of the Examination
Programme CEFR IELTS (Academic) TOEFL
ENGLISH Paper- based Computer- based Internet- based
B.A. (English & MCJ) B2 5.5 513 183 65
MA/PGDTE/B.Ed. B2 6.00 547 210 78
PhD C1 6.5 550 213 79
B.A. (Foreign Languages) A2 3.5 433 120 40
M.A. (Foreign Languages B1 5.5 513 183 65


If you are applying for a PhD Programme, you have to submit a Research Proposal of 500 to 800 words along with your application. You have to also qualify in telephonic interview to be conducted by the concerned Department/School as per given schedule. If you are selected for admission, your research proposal will enable us to determine the nature of your course work after you join the University.


Whether you are a sponsored student or a self-sponsored one, the courses that you can choose to study are the same, but the way in which you apply and the admission procedures that you have to follow are different. So we will specify these procedures separately.


You must apply preferably in the month of January to the Indian Embassy/Consulate in your country, in the prescribed form available at the Embassy itself. You can download this from the ICCR website www.iccrindia.org. All communication is only through the ICCR and not directly with the EFL University.

Selected applicants will be sent provisional admission letter well in advance to apply for visa and other formalities. After the formalities of the sponsorship and immigration are done and you are in Hyderabad, you must report to the ICCR local office in Hyderabad first to get your ICCR identity card. The ICCR will then give you a small part of your scholarship amount as advance to help you settle down. Once you have got the ICCR identity card, you can come to the University, fill in the prescribed joining report form, submit all your original certificates and register for the Programme. You should register with the police at the Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 15 days of your arrival. The HIV clearance certificate has to be produced on arrival. Your fees will be paid by the ICCR. However, for hostel admission, you will be required to pay an amount of Rs 15,000/- (rupees fifteen thousand only) towards caution deposit. Research Students are given single room accommodation while B.A. and M.A. students have to share a room with another student. Married research students can opt to stay outside the campus.


The admission notification of the English and Foreign Languages University is normally uploaded on the University website www.efluniversity.ac.in during December/January every year. The downloaded application, duly filled in, should be sent to: The Dean, Foreign Students, EFL University, Hyderabad - 500 007, INDIA. The filled in application can alternatively be sent as an attachment file to the e-mail ID of the Office of Dean, Foreign Students: eflu_deanfs@rediffmail.com


(For both ICCR and Self-sponsored Candidates)

If you want to join B.A. or M.A. Programme at the EFL University, you need to get a Student Visa. If you want to join a PhD Programme, you need a Research Visa. You can join any Programme only at the beginning of the academic session, i.e. 1st August every year.


The Dean, Foreign Students is the International Students Advisor. The Dean looks after the academic and non-academic problems of international students. The ODFS organizes an Orientation session for all the Foreign Students before the commencement of the new academic session every year. The Office of Dean, Foreign Students (ODFS) is here to answer your questions and help you with any problem that you may have. Our dedicated staff can assist you with problems concerning your immigration, social and personal adjustment to life at Hyderabad and other personal matters and concerns.

You can contact the ODFS for further queries at the following No. and E-mail ID.

+9140 27689511 (Office of Dean, Foreign Students)



A copy of the fees structure for registration and hostel admission will be sent to selected candidates along with Provisional Admission Letter. Please note that it is not possible to earn your living expenses while following a full-time course. The cost of living will vary with inflation and changes in exchange rates. You have to pay the fees for each semester at the start of the semester, failing which you will not be allowed to register for any course.


The University has two hostels for international students – Tagore International Hostel for Men and Amrita Pritam International Hostel for Women. The rent for accommodation is Rs.2, 000/- (approximately US $40) for B.A. and M.A. students and Rs.3, 500/- (approximately US $70) for PhD students per month, with a refundable caution deposit of Rs.15, 000/- to be paid at the time of admission to the hostel. Rent must be paid at the beginning of every month, and a penalty will be charged for late payment. Those who have not paid rent will not be permitted to write their examinations unless they clear all outstanding dues.

Newly arrived foreign students often need temporary accommodation before they find a place more permanent. This can be arranged by the University in the Hostels or the Guest House, depending on your date of arrival. You must however inform us in advance about temporary accommodation, if any, needed by you. For ICCR students, the ICCR Regional Office in Hyderabad looks after their initial stay and expenses.

Do let us know how we can be of assistance to you.

Chanchala K Naik

Dean, Foreign Students