The primary objective of the University is to impart quality education in the disciplines and sub-disciplines of English and foreign languages.
The objectives of the University as stated in Act, 2006 (No.7 of 2007) are:
• to disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional, research, and extension
• facilities in the teaching of English and foreign languages and literature in India;
• to train language teachers in methods and approaches appropriate to the Indian context;
• to provide expertise in language and teacher education to foreign professionals;
• to evolve indigenous ways of testing language proficiency;
• to make provisions for innovative teaching-learning materials in both print and electronic media;
• to take appropriate measures for inter-disciplinary studies and research in literary and cultural studies; and
• to develop critical intercultural understanding of the civilizations.
Programmes are offered through the face to face mode as well as the distance mode. Courses offered on our various programmes adopt a variety of teaching styles that are intense and at the same time engaging. Courses are offered as seminars, tutorials, presentations, lectures, or lab-based held in language labs and digital labs. All programmes follow the Choice Based Credit System.
In the English division, postgraduate programmes follow a modular approach, what is popularly known as ‘the cafeteria system’– students can choose from a variety of courses offered in different areas, such as literature, linguistics and English Language Education and opt for a programme that best suits their goals. The Foreign Languages division offers courses in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Russian, and Spanish.
The School of Distance Education offers PG Certificate and Diploma in the teaching of English for pre-service and in-service teachers of English. The School also offers a two-year MA English.
© 2017 The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, Telangana State. All Rights are Reserved.